Thank you. You made our entry into 2013 very smooth. Your year-end contributions gave us enough funds to take care of most of what we budgeted for this quarter. Once again your generosity exceeded our expectations.
– John Bailey


Our team in Cambodia consisted of professionals from Philippines, Cambodia and the USA. There were 26 physicians, 5 dentists, 2 optometrists and one acupuncturist. We worked out of 4 villages and treated 14,606 patients. (That is not a typo).

It was an interesting experience working in these remote villages. We were cared for by the locals and they did all of the cooking on fires that were on the ground. Every meal had steamed rice as a staple and usually one or two kinds of soup. Most meals also have fresh fruit. We ate all three meals at the clinic sites and drove to our hotel each evening.

The schedule for each day was pretty much the same. We had a wake up call between 4 and 5 a.m., and were on the bus and on the road by 6. It was always dark when we left and it was dark when we returned about 7 each evening.

While the clinics were going on, Bible classes were being taught. As many as 300 sat and listened as many were hearing the story of Jesus for the first time. Two of the villages were predominately Muslim and two were Buddhist. The weather was mild considering our location. It was dry season we did not have to contend with the muddy roads that are so dangerous during the rainy season.

During our stay in Cambodia, we witnessed 30 baptisms. Most of these were leaders in autonomous churches. There has been a lot of Bible teaching done in these villages over the last 2 or 3 years, and it is a joy to see the fruits of the work being done. Mike Meierhofer, minister at the Walnut Hill Church, works closely with Sokhom Hun, a native of Cambodia and a survivor of the Killing Fields. Their approach to evangelism in Cambodia is one that I like. The hunger of Cambodians for the gospel was obvious by the large number who came for a second day of teaching.

A third year dental student came to me the third day we were there and asked me to tell him about Jesus. I asked him what he knew about Jesus and he said “nothing”. He said he knew a little about Buddha, but not about Jesus. I asked him what brought him to me with the request, and he said the preacher students singing about Jesus was something he had never experienced and he wanted to know more. The Bible says we are to be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks. What would you have said to this young man? I spent the next 45 minutes visiting with him about my friend and savior Jesus. The part of the story that he found hardest to believe was that God would die for man. That’s what’s so amazing about grace.

One of the greatest blessings and pleasures of this trip was introducing Dr. Jerry Burgess to medical missions. Jerry is an excellent exodontist, who did more than his share of the hundreds of extractions our team performed. He is a good travel companion. He has already committed to our 2014 mission. He was not a complainer, but he did mention on the 12th day that we had rice for 36 meals in a row.

Through the providence of God, I was able to ride in the First Class section for most of the way from Seoul to DFW. Thus, I arrived home with my feet unswollen. I could easily get used to riding in the front section of the plane. The unfortunate circumstances of a man in a diabetic coma got my attention, and the Captain rewarded me with a first class seat. Jerry kept me humble by suggesting I would do anything to get an upgrade to First Class. He’s right. See Slideshow


We arrived home from Indonesia and the Philippines on March19th. This was one of the best trips I have ever made. I think part of the reason was that I was able to travel with Greg Smith on the entire journey and he kept me from getting on the wrong plane or checking in at the wrong counter.

In Northern Sumatra we worked in two locations: Simalungun and Sidikalang, and completed 295 eye surgeries. We worked with a team from Medan that we have worked with for several years now. The facilities for the operations were located at an elevation of about 3,000 feet, so the weather was not as hot as it is when we go to Nias. We had a good hotel to stay in and the food was better than usual.

It is absolutely amazing to see our surgery team in action. In the operating room there are three portable beds. The two beds on the outside have patients that are having surgery done by the two doctors, and the middle bed has the patient that is next in line. The surgeon finishes first, receives the one that was waiting in the middle bed. This procedure continues sometimes until late in the evening.

In the week or two prior to setting up our surgery, interested patients were screened by a team that has worked together for several years. Patients are evaluated to see if what is wrong is a cataract. If this is so, then the patient’s blood and ocular pressures are taken. Patients who make it this far are then appointed to arrive at the hospital the day before surgery. Here the doctors check the patients and a more careful screening is made. Out of 357 patients who passed the first screening, 20 or 30 don’t show up. About that same number are not accepted for surgery because of other health problems.

These are brave, tough people. They have to spend two nights on a mat on the floor. No pre-op sedation is used. The patient is conscious during the whole procedure. A local anesthetic is used in the eye. Patients must lie perfectly still for the entire operation. It is amazing that anyone can do this, but when we see children cooperating it makes me realize that most of us are wimps.

Each surgery camp has special people and special stories. Time and space do not permit telling too many of the experiences. However, the photo of the three little boys (see Slideshow) must be told. These brave little fellows made it through the surgery. The two with single eye patches had successful surgery. Both will see out of eyes that previously were blind. However, the boy with bandages on both eyes will not. The surgeons said that the optic nerve was damaged and nothing they could do would help. We also witnessed a grandmother seeing her granddaughter for the first time. The granddaughter was 11 years old. That’s what I call instant gratification. See Slideshow and Watch Video


Our stay in Cebu was really a pleasant experience. We got to see old friends, visit a few churches and attended a wonderful celebration honoring Salma Perocho receiving her MBA.

You probably have heard me speak of the “Leyte Orphans” who we have had a part in sponsoring for several years. They are now young men and women and are a joy to be around. I know that you bond in adversity, and this is what has happened with this group. Most of them became orphans while they were away at school about 7 years ago. A mud slide completely buried their village and most of the people there were buried alive. The school was about a mile from the village.

We have seen most of these kids graduate from high school and now most of them are either in college or have already graduated. Salma’s graduation gave them a reason to re-unite and celebrate. It brought tears and laughter as they told of their fun times and hard times they experienced since that terrible day.

Sunday we attended the Compostella church that was begun about a year ago. It is a small church in a very poor neighborhood, but the husband and wife team who are busy working in the community and sharing Christ are a delight to be with. BandS has been able to help with the meager building they are building and with some medical assistance for some of the members. One was a 15 year old who suffers with cerebral palsy. The teachers discovered that he was very bright and was being held back because he wasn’t able to speak or write. We gave him an iPad, and he has really developed his ability to communicate. He now attends a regular school and the teachers are administrating tests in a way that he answers the questions on the iPad.

Another lady who attends this church is one who had a large growth on her mandible. The Leyte ladies arranged for her to have surgery in Cebu and the 7 pound tumor was removed. You may view the before/after photo of her on Salvador Cariaga’s page. She was so gracious in expressing her gratitude. I found out that she also has a great sense of humor.

I was honored to be able to preach that morning to a very diversified but faithful group. After the service each of the families including the children, came to the front of the assembly and quoted (in English) some of the scriptures they had memorized. Some also sung their favorite hymn.

Greg Smith documented this trip for Caris Foundation and learned the hard way that the church was in need of toilet facilities. I was thankful I had a few dollars in my pocket that was sufficient to allow them to build a WC the following week.

Monday was a busy day. I met with Chito Cusni in the morning. He told me of the needs of our Christian brothers and sisters in Pakistan whose homes were burned and they had to escape to a refugee center for safety. They left without food or clothing. They are living in a shelter that provides tents and a little food. I am hoping to be able to get enough funds to provide food and clothing for about 50 families and send the funds in a safe way to these faithful, suffering people.

Monday afternoon we attended two graduation ceremonies. I was honored to address both of these assemblies and hand out the certificates of recognition for the work the students had completed.

Greg and I left Cebu about 8 p.m. and flew home via Singapore and Tokyo. We were home 26 hours after we boarded the flight out of Cebu. This was one of the best and easiest trips I have made in a very long time. See Slideshow



Body and Soul Ministries has no office expense or salaries and spends 100% of funds directly on projects. All travel expenses for Dr. Bailey are paid for by Caris Foundation International. We have a working fund that pays for reporting and administrative expenses. We hope you will consider making a contribution.



Donate Online





First Quarter Report 2012


End of Year Report 2012


Third Quarter Report 2011


First Quarter Report 2011 (315 KB pdf)


End of Year Report 2010 (2.44 MB pdf)


Second Quarter Report 2010 (902 KB pdf)


First Quarter Report 2010 (860 KB pdf)


End of Year Report 2009 (778 KB pdf)


Second Quarter Report 2009 (950 KB pdf)


First Quarter Report 2009 (226 KB pdf)


End of Year Report 2008 (729 KB pdf)


Third Quarter Report 2008 (595 KB pdf)


First Quarter Report 2008 (397 KB pdf)


End of Year Report 2007 (331 KB pdf)


End of Year Report 2006 (78 KB pdf)